Latest Parish Council Documents
The Civil Parish of Downholland lies in the southwestern corner of West Lancashire, it includes the village of Haskayne and the settlements of Barton and Downholland Cross as well as scattered farmhouses and cottages. It has a total area of 12 square miles most of which is prime agricultural land. The nearest towns are Southport, seven miles to the west and Ormskirk five miles to the east. Liverpool is about 12 miles away. The population of about 1000 is employed in the surrounding towns and cities or on the land. The Leeds and Liverpool canal runs through the parish.
There is a thriving village school. There are three public houses. The village hall owned and run by the Haskayne and Downholland Community Association (HDCA) was built in 2002 hosts a growing number of community activities. The Parish Council works closely with the HDCA on a number of matters of mutual interest.